Growth Fund Shares vs. Target Date Fund?

Hey there! I switched over to a Roth IRA with Vanguard at the beginning of the year and initially invested in the Vanguard U.S. Growth Fund Investor shares - I did a bunch of research and decided to go with that but for the life of me I can’t tell you what those reasons are today :rofl: I’ve been considering switching it all over to a target retirement fund but I can’t decide if I should. All of my current research to understand the U.S. Growth fund shares has been fruitless, so would you happen to have any insight or advice? I own my own business and am finally able to start automatic transfers monthly so I want my money to go the farthest it can. Thanks for reading!

Hi Ann Marie! Maybe one of these posts will help you out?
(Seven reasons to put 100% of your portfolio in a target date index fund)
(S&P 500 vs Total Stock vs Target Date Cont)

1 Like

Hi @dgurgan! I’ve actually read over both of those but thanks for the link so I have them to come back to! I think there’s a very real possibility I’m overthinking this :rofl: But I’m trying to get a handle on it because I’ve worked myself into quite a confused state.

1 Like

Hi @amama,

I’m not sure why you chose it either (I suspect chasing past performance, because it has recently slightly outperformed the broader market, but we have no reason to suspect it will going forward).

So I’m with @dgurgan, I’d throw everything into a target date index fund based on your birth year + 65 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great thanks so much @Jeremy!

1 Like