Suggestions on Taxable Brokerage

I’m looking to restructure my taxable brokerage account in Vanguard and I want to know does it make sense to convert from VTI to a TDIF? Or do I keep investing towards VTI and further down the line add BND ETF and self manage? I would prefer the hands off approach with the TDIF and not have to worry about keeping up with rebalancing maintenance. When I first opened my brokerage I was intrigued about Balanced Funds/TDIFs because it eliminates having an advisor. I’m just uncertain if this is a wise decision or not. I’ve read/heard that this was problematic with holding TDIFs/Balanced funds because of the buying & selling blah blah blah (analysis paralysis).

Current holdings in my taxable brokerage: VIG, VYM, VGT, VNQ & VTI.

I’m planning on selling VYM & VNQ in 2021 once the dates of the short-term gains/losses flips to long-term and sell those ETFs and reallocate the money. No new money is being invested in these ETFs at the moment.

I plan on keeping VIG & VGT for the long-term as they’ve been performing really well. VTI is my largest holding which has about $11.5K. If I decide to convert to the TDIF my approach would be to direct all new money to it. Then exchange VTI over to the TDIF once the short-term gains flips to long-term.

Below are the rest of my investments that I currently have which have been maxed:
Roth401K - BlackRock LifePath Index 2050 Fund N/Expense Ratio: 0.06% (50% Employer Match)
HSA - SWYMX TDIF 2050 (Employer pays $1,000 every year)
RothIRA -VFIFX TDIF 2050 (Fully maxed out for the last 4 years)
**ESPP - company stock 10% discount (I buy 3% at the moment but will be increasing in the future)

Apologies in advance if this sort of question has already been answered. I’m open to any suggestions or feedback that any of you have.

I just want to be an autopilot long-term investor and cut the middle-man out of my life! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I did some more digging into the community and came across a similar post here Tax Brokerage Account - VTSAX or Vanguard Target Retirement 2060 Fund? which helps answer if its worth investing in a taxable account. :slight_smile:

The remaining question is what’s a good strategy of converting over to the TDIF? Should I just purchase the TDIF with all new money going forward and wait for the long-term gains on VTI before converting it over? :thinking: