Could we compare the best 2060 target date index fund choice?

I am looking to invest in the 2060 Target Date Index Fund - when comparing the three you gave in the course - VTTSX, FDKLX, and SWYNX, there seems to be some pros and cons to each. I’ve looked between the expense ratio (net) and Schwab seems to be the best (.08). However, I am confused because the Vanguard 10K for a ten-year projection was around $22K whereas the Fidelity and Schwab came in around $14K. Would the difference be made in the portfolio makeup that Vanguard chooses over the other two brokerage accounts? Would that make Vanguard the best choice out of the 3 for the 2060 Target Date Index Funds?

I think you’re probably looking at historical 10 year charts for each of those funds (likely the ticker page on each fund’s respective bank website that describes the fund and has a chart called “Hypothetical Growth of $10,000” or similar).

The problem is that none of those funds have existed for 10 years. The oldest, VTTSX, was created in 2012. The Fidelity and Schwab funds are even newer.

So the projections you’re looking at only go back a handful of years and Vanguard’s is the oldest, so it’s reasonable to expect it’s grown the most.

If you take a look at a 2-year chart on Yahoo Finance, you’ll see that all the funds perform within a handful percent range over that period.

With the funds being constructed very similarly and with similar goals, your best bet is to probably purchase whichever has the lowest barrier to entry for you—if you narrowed it to these three choices. Whichever has the lowest fees/transaction costs or which you can buy in an existing account.

Don’t get too caught up in the details, just get that money invested :slight_smile: Time in the market and all that!

1 Like

Great answer @ChrisAtTTL!

For those who are signed up, I’ll cover this in tonight’s office hours (11/25/2020) with the recording available afterwards on the course site!

If you’re not signed up for office hours, you can sign up here.

1 Like