Do NOT hold cash in your retirement accounts - and how to check

Originally published at: Do NOT hold cash in your retirement accounts – and how to check – Personal Finance Club

I have a friend that I’ve been helping with her Roth IRA for about 10 years. A couple of nights ago we had our annual “invest in her Roth IRA” meeting. We started by transferring money from her checking account into her Roth IRA. At this point in the night, she said, “Oh if it was that easy I could have done it on my own.” I think my exact response was “FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WE’RE NOT DONE YET BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO INVEST THE CASH AFTER IT’S CONTRIBUTED TO THE ACCOUNT”. Then I flipped the table over in rage and stormed into the corner to cuddle with my Jack Bogle plushy. ‎

But seriously, this is the #1 most common, and most devastating problem I see from newer investors. Holding cash in investment accounts. Use this guide to figure out if you’re making this mistake. Putting cash in an investment account alone doesn’t do anything! You have to take the second step of using that cash to BUY an investment (like an index fund!)‎

Friends don’t let friends hold cash in retirement accounts. Please spread the word.‎

As always, reminding you to build wealth by following the two PFC rules: 1.) Live below your means and 2.) Invest early and often.‎

-Jeremy‎

via Instagram

If I have money in a settlement fund in my Roth IRA account, but it’s not enough to buy any investments with, do I just leave it there until I can contribute more? Will I be penalized if I withdraw the settlement amount (i.e. $35)?

I probably wouldn’t take it out. That would get reported on your taxes and is just likely to cause you a headache down the road. If you have any existing mutual funds, you can simply just buy more of the same. If you’re investing in ETFs and can’t do partial shares, just leave it in there as cash until there’s more cash. No big deal.

1 Like