Employer Retirement Options - No Ticker Symbols

Hi Jeremy,

I work for the government and my retirement fund has some options that don’t have ticker symbols… Are these generally bonds? I’ve listed some of the options I’m confused about below

State St S&P 500 Indx SL Cl II - This option does not have a ticker but has a low expense ration of 0.01%. Is this an index fund? If so, why does it not have a ticker symbol? The employer does provide a brocher with information but I’m not sure if it’s a SAFE option if it does not have a ticker symbol that I can look up. Do you recommend investing in this?

State Street Russell Small Mid Cap Index Securities Lending Fund Class II - The expense ratio for this option states the following “A commingled fund is a pooled investment vehicle, maintained by a bank or trust company, the participants of which are limited to certain types of tax exempt employee benefit plans. The current NET Expense ratio is 0.02%. This Portfolio is not a registered investment company, and interests in the Portfolio have not been registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission.”… what does this mean? Is this a good option?

T. Rowe Price Blue Chip Growth Tr-T2 - This option does not have a ticker and says gross expense 0.45% and net expense 0.45%… Why are the expenses broken down between net and gross? Does this mean a combined expense ratio of 0.45% or a combined expense ration of 0.90%?

BNYM Mellon NSL US Dynamic LargCp Val II - This option does not have a ticker and says gross expense 0.40% and net expense 0.40%… same situation as the one above

MFS Mid Cap Value Fund Class R3 - No ticker symbol. Net and gross expense ration of 0.04% and 0.12%. Is this a good option to invest in since the expense ratios are low?

The plan also offers VFTNX index fund so if the above options are not good ones, I will invest all my contributions in VFTNX.

I’m really confused and would appreciate your input. thank you!

Hey Amy!

I’ll cover this in tonight’s office hours (11/11/2020) with the recording available afterwards on the course site!

If you’re not signed up for office hours, you can sign up here.