Help a newbie investor help Mom avoid potential financial ruin

Hi all! Tried to keep this short, but the details are important.

I am new to investing - new as in I know next to nothing, and am only partway through the PFC course. I contribute more than the max to my company 401k and that’s as much as I have ever done, investment-wise. Literally, I know nothing.

My mom, who is 66 and just retired from an accounting/financial mgt of a small non-profit position, and who is independent and very smart but who I am concerned is starting to show a few signs of early dementia (can’t remember she told me a very in-depth story the day prior and tells me all over again, relays things to me that happened when I was there with her, etc), was left in a good financial position by my father when he passed five years ago. Although she’s an accountant, he was an engineer and he was the financial mastermind between the two of them, so he managed their investments.

After he passed, she researched three financial management companies and hired one to assess her situation. They did, and set her up in a way to ensure that she will have access to her money when needed, but it’s still in accounts that’s accruing interest, and she’ll get maximum social security (as in, they talked about when she should retire to get the most out of it), plus they talked about putting her house and other assets in trust so if she gets sick, she doesn’t lose her shirt to medical bills. Overall, it seemed like they did a pretty good job for her.

Yesterday, she tells me that she and two friends (both of whom are a little nutty - nice, but extreme religious zealots/almost cult-like in their religion, very extreme in a lot of their behaviors) are planning on going to a ‘conference’ in Scottsdale, AZ in a couple months to attend a financial planning seminar put on by some guy who has his own ‘method’ of investing based on looking at the last 8 years of market trends and then picking what you should invest in from those trends. She said he does things differently than everyone else “just like how Dave Ramsey does the snowball method to pay off debt, but it works!” and that “so many people have done so well using his method!”

I told her that to me, it sounds like a scheme and that anyone who needs to sell tickets to a conference is making their money that way, so they can tell you anything and then throw in the old disclaimer and if you lose your money, it’s not their fault. I also told her that if the last 8 years were an indication of what the next few years will do, then everyone would do it that way, but she didn’t seem to agree. I asked her why she even wanted to make a change in her portfolio considering she hired a reputable advisor who had done a good job for her, she doesn’t have any financial needs, and she’s set until she dies even if she lives to 100, and she said that she’s only making 8% return and she thinks she should be getting more like 10-12% so she wants to move her money from her index fund to something more aggressive. My response was that the one and ONLY thing I know about finances is that you NEVER get more aggressive with your money as you age; you start out aggressive when you’re young and you get more conservative as you get older.

She was not amused by my objections and refused to discuss the topic further. She wouldn’t give me the guy’s name so I could look him up, and I can’t find any information on any financial planners holding conferences in Arizona except Mark Matson, who to me seems like a scammer (or at least is charging fees that are way too high).

My fear is that she’s going to go to this convention with her two nutty friends, get totally swayed by whatever persuasive tactics they have, and immediately sign over her money, then lose her shirt.

I’m hoping that by posting here, either a) someone will be familiar with whoever this person in Arizona is and will know if they’re legit or a scammer, b) someone can give me a few more pieces of ‘standard’ advice that I can use the next time I talk to her about this to try to convince her to think about it a little more clearly (by that I mean, common knowledge stuff like ‘you don’t get more aggressive as you get older’), or c) other people who know more than me can help set my mind at ease. I feel like I’m at a huge disadvantage in trying to talk her out of this since she’s the accountant and I’m not someone who knows much about investing. Or maybe she’s right and I truly don’t understand - but based on what I’ve learned from Jeremy’s course and what little knowledge I had before, all my alarm bells are going off and my gut is screaming that something is very wrong.

I do plan to tell her to run this brilliant idea past her current financial advisor, my uncle (my dad’s brother) who is also an engineer and extremely good with money, and my cousin who is a financial advisor to get opinions other than mine.

Anyway, thank you from the bottom of my heart for reading my essay and for any advice you may have. She’s an incredible, selfless human being and the thought of her losing everything is just heartbreaking. Of course, she could come live with me, but since I’m not at a point where I even have a 1-month emergency fund set up and I don’t even have 100k in my retirement account at 40, I have no idea how I would take care of her financially so I want to protect her money at all costs. She doesn’t deserve to be destitute.

Oh man. Well first of all, you’re giving yourself way too little credit. From what I read your understanding of investing is better than 98% of the population out there. I share all your same concerns regarding what they might talk about at this conference and how it might put your mom at financial risk.

I have a few thoughts:

1. This isn’t really a financial question, it’s a relationship one. You got the financial part right. The issue of how to influence your mom’s behavior is outside of my area of expertise, so take the rest of this post with a big grain of salt.
  2. In my life experience, it’s very difficult to help someone who doesn’t want to be helped. You can’t quit smoking for someone else. Your mom is an adult who has a lifetime of her own experiences and perspectives and is going to make her own decisions. I would focus on protecting your assets and staying on your plan. Don’t ruin your relationship with your mom over this.
  3. In general when someone wants to do something risky or speculative, I encourage them to section off part of their portfolio. i.e. what if she kept 90% of her portfolio in the system she has and takes 10% for her fun/speculative/whatever fund. It may be a release valve for her so she can feel like she’s doing something more aggressive, but won’t ruin her life if it goes south (although based on what you described, she would still need to set strong boundaries around not going after that 90%). You might pitch this idea to her. Remind her that if this investing scheme is so good, than a little of her portfolio is all she’ll need. And if it isn’t so good a little is all she’ll want.
  4. I may reach out to her financial advisor if you have a relationship with him, but unless your mom is really shown not to be fit to make decisions and you get power of attorney, it’s still her decision to make. You largely have to find peace with that.

Also, I have no idea what this Arizona thing is about. There are so many conmen out there I can’t nearly keep track. Sorry you’re in this stressful situation. I hope your mom makes wise decisions and you both stay financially happy and healthy! :slight_smile:

Jeremy

1 Like

I’m so touched that you replied personally! I truly appreciate your time and advice. I think all of it is excellent, but in particular the 10% idea is something that I may be able to sell her on and should make complete sense to a numbers person such as a retired accountant. If I can plant that seed the next time she and I chat about this, I’m hopeful that she’ll ruminate on that a little bit and by the time this conference comes up a few months from now, she’ll be in a mindset of wanting to invest a little in whatever this guy is selling but not willing to gamble too much of her life savings.

I also appreciate the other words of wisdom - that I need to allow her to make her own decisions and make peace with that. I’m an only child, childless myself, so I’ve never experienced having to worry so much about someone else who was mostly independent but needed a little bit of protection. This whole ‘parenting the parent’ stage of life is new and quite stressful. Taking a step back and letting her do her thing is hard. Makes me glad I don’t have kids - I’d be a wreck!

Thanks again for taking the time to address this for me - especially in such detail. I truly appreciate it!!

@Jeremy 's response was way more eloquent than anything I could have said.

Wholeheartedly agree with everything he said.