Help me understand RSUs from my new potential job

I’m about to field a new job offer, yippee!! And for the first time ever, I might get stock/equity in the company!

But I know basically nothing about that subject, so I would love your help, community. Resources, insights, support for the negotiation process… all of it.

The company (privately owned) gives restricted stock units (RSUs) to their employees as part of their compensation plan. I don’t have any numbers yet on how many is standard to issue, or what they’re worth. But here are my questions for you for effective negotiation this week:

• From a personal finance perspective, do I want to ask for higher salary/less RSUs? (I’m guessing yes; salary range is trending a bit lower than my current pay) After all, cash is cash and RSUs are arbitrarily valued - correct?

• What levers can I pull in negotiations to make RSUs more valuable to me? Quicker vesting period, higher vesting percentage, more RSUs…?

• Any other questions I should ask the recruiter that I don’t yet know I should ask?