How do I invest to get dividends before I retire?

What type of account do I open and invest in to get dividends before retirement?

Hi Jessie! So the account type can vary and not affect you earning dividends. Dividends are an amount of money that a company or fund will pay you for owning shares of their stock. What you can do if you are interested in dividends is to invest in “Blue Chip” stocks or mutual funds that pay dividends.

1 Like

@JRP,

This depends on your age too. If you are not going to need the dividends before retirement, the best place would be to park them in a Roth IRA. With a Roth IRA you would not need to pay taxes on the dividend income. You can just reinvest automatically without it being an issue.

1 Like

Hey Jessie,

I think what you may be asking is “how do I access the growth of my investments before I’m the age of 59.5 such that they’re not locked away in a retirement account?”

If so, I think this article might help!

1 Like

Thanks all, I believe what I am looking for is a brokerage account. From the sounds of it, I currently don’t have enough money to make it worth opening one. Ill finish my current personal financial goals in the next couple years and I’m trying to envision a roadmap for the next few decades if i am so fortunate to live them. I don’t envision myself needing much money as a 60+y/o. I would prefer to spend the bulk of my savings in my 40s & 50s, but I don’t want to be an 70y/o on the street either. :woman_shrugging:

Sounds like you got a plan have you heard of FIRE?