Late bloomer....investing at 52!

Thanks in advance for any guidance! I am 52 years old and hoping to understand if there is something I can do to help me “catch up” since I just started with a vanguard roth IRA about 3 years ago which I do max out. I have a 9 month emergency fund saved and another 10000 in a savings account which I would like to invest for retirement. I can also invest about $500 a month moving forward for non-Roth IRA accounts. I know you recommend index funds and also dividends but which is the best for my late in life situation?

4 Likes

You story is inspiring, keep up the good (financial) work!

2 Likes

Hey @juliet!

There aren’t really any shortcuts for starting later in life, but it sounds like you’re off to a great start with your IRA, emergency fund and savings. Now is just time to try to hammer it and throw as much as possible into your investment accounts.

I think a good approach would be a target date index fund based on your age. Take your birth year, plus 65, round up to the nearest 5 and invest in the target date index fund of that year. Here’s an article on why:

And of course, I think my course would be super helpful to give you confidence on investing moving forward! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Jeremy, appreciate you taking the time to answer my question and I will definitely check out your course offerings! I did have a follow up question, if you don’t mind…my employer’s 401K has a general range of fee % of .65 to 1.70, which, if I understand correctly, are high. My question is with such high fee expense should the goal still be to max out that 401K before investing in an index fund? Or should I just contribute up to the employer match and then invest in a low expense index fund?

What you just said.

Also refer to Jeremy’s Yellow Note: https://www.instagram.com/p/CJ3mPD_rIL7/