Leaving job. What to do with 401k

Hello,

I am leaving my current employer this week and was wondering what should I be doing with my 401k? And is there anything I should be doing before I leave?

There’s nothing you can/need to do before you leave, but after you leave, you’ll likely want to roll over your 401k to an IRA!

1 Like

Jeremy, would you mind sharing the process to rollover to Vanguard IRA from a previous job?

Hello,

I read your post but which IRA should I roll it over into? A traditional, a rollover or Roth IRA? I am currently unemployed after leaving this employer and was wondering if I roll it into a Roth IRA will I be taxed at 0% because I am unemployed or taxed based off of what I earned before leaving my job? Or should I transfer into a rollover ira account in hopes my future employer has a 401k plan I can put this one into or put it into a traditional ira and get taxed when I take it out when I am retired and have no income?

Thank you in advance.

I recommend using Capitalize to do a rollover. They walk you through everything and make it super easy!
First, they will ask for info such as the account numbers of your old 401k and your new IRA. Then they’ll call the brokerage on your behalf and do the talking for you, all you have to do is confirm :laughing: After that I got a check sent to me which I was supposed to send to Vanguard, and Capitalize sent me a prepaid envelope that was already addressed to Vanguard. It was amazing!! Best of all it’s free!

1 Like

@TiffanyA If it’s a traditional 401k, I would roll it over to a rollover IRA for the exact reason that you mentioned!
There is not much of a difference if you choose a rollover IRA vs a traditional IRA tax wise, as they work the same in that aspect.

1 Like