Opening a Second Roth IRA

I currently have a Roth IRA with TD Ameritrade… They charge $17/transaction for the target date index fund I have, so I want to open a Roth IRA with Vanguard and invest monthly without a fee. Is there a way to transfer my current Roth IRA funds to my new Roth IRA that I plan to open (without it costing a small fortune)? Or will I just have to leave it and have two Roth IRA accounts?

Vanguard should have information on how to roll it over to the new IRA. It may be a 1 time fee I think of $75.

Heads up you will have to sell your investments before transferring.

2 Likes

Hi Laura,
You can do an “in kind” transfer which means you don’t have to sell your assets when moving them from one brokerage to another.
See this link here: Common questions about account transfers | Vanguard

May I ask if this is happening because TD does not offer their own target date index funds? @KarlaMickelson is trying to buy a TDIF with them!

2 Likes

I have FXAIX (Fidelity 500 Index Fund) through Ameritrade (that costs $17 per transaction). Sorry, I misspoke when I said it was a target date fund. I’m not aware of any target date funds through Ameritrade. I’m pretty sure I had searched for one, but settled for FXAIX when I couldn’t find one.

@Laura_V check out this post, says that TD offers free ETF trades. Definitely stop paying that fee, though there may be a way to stick with TD Amer if you don’t want to switch over… How to avoid transaction fees on mutual funds – Personal Finance Club

This post has a handy listing of ETF’s to look for:

Good luck!