Rolling Over 401k

Hi

I am about 75% of the way through Jeremy’s course which is very informative. I have a few questions.

I have a 401k sitting in limbo, it has 33k in it. I know that if I roll over my 401k to a Roth it gets taxed. Should I roll over my 401k to a Traditional IRA?

Also I was planning on putting 23k in an index fund. and some money in Tesla, Apple and Amazon. Does this sound like a good idea. ?

Last question. I see Jeremy uses Vanguard, Charles Schwab and Fidelity in his course, which brokerage would you recommend I roll my 401k over to for a self directed IRA?

Thank you

If you don’t want to be taxed on that rollover amount, then do traditional IRA. If you’re ok with being taxed and convert the sum to a Roth, then do Roth IRA.

Fidelity, Vanguard, or Schwab would be a good choice. Can’t go wrong - all 3 are recommended.

People in this forum will advise you to invest in Target Date Index Funds or 3-fund portfolio (see Jeremy’s prior blog post on 3-fund portfolio). Either of those options will already have included Tesla, Apple and Amazon in their line-up. If you choose to allocate more money towards those 3 individual stocks, that is a personal preference for whether that is a good choice. I personally invest mostly in index funds, but have a “fun” brokerage account to invest in individual stock options and I do own Apple and Amazon in that “fun” account.

2 Likes

Thank you for the response

I agree with everything @Mindi mentioned and wanted to add that if you withdraw the money and you are under 59.5 years of age you’ll also get penalized 10% on top of the taxes you’ll incur .

1 Like