Roth IRA with a target index fund, what aboutTraditional IRA?

Hello Jeremy,
thanks for all your valuable information. I have a roth IRA and a traditional IRA that I tried to max out every year. For the roth, I chose a target index fund, I’m wondering what should I get for the traditional. Do I also get a target one or should I go with something else? Not sure if it defeats the purpose to have the same in 2 different IRA. Any advice is really appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

I don’t like TDFs for retirement accounts, many of them have as much as 40% of your funds in under performing bonds and cash. You’re better off just sticking it all into a total market fund or an S and P fund. Plus the fees are usually higher in a TDF

Why are you contributing to both a traditional and Roth IRA? Most people will be better off if they max out their Roth every year, that allows them to w/d tax free after 59.5 yo. Lots of good investment advice on reddit and youtube, but you have to spend some time digging through stuff

1 Like

Hi Yamina,
Your contribution limits for a Roth IRA and traditional IRA are $6K combined between the two, so you can’t do $6K in each. With that being said, I would rather put the $6K in a Roth IRA.

But hypothetically, there is nothing wrong with having the same TDIF in 2 (or even all) of your accounts :slight_smile:

1 Like