Should I Wait?

Since the end of December 2021 I funded my Roth for 2021 & 2022 and put $30,000 in an brokerage account. That was basically my husband and I’s life savings. I knew nothing about the stock market myself, so I had my brother help me, who is a risk taker and has a net worth of 2 million dollars, most of that being in the stock market. I trusted him, and now I have lost over $2,300.00 in less than a month. Do I wait for my stock worth to come back up before I take that money and invest it in a target date index fund, or do I make the change tomorrow when the market opens back up?

What is your Roth and brokerage account in? Or more specifically what investment lost you money in the month?

My Brokerage account was invested with TQQQ & UPRO
My Roth was invested with GS, TQQQ, UDOW, F, AAPL, and HD.

I’m now down more than $4,000.

Assuming this long-term retirement money, best thing you can do is keep investing (in to index funds) through the dip. It always (in the past) has come back and gone higher. You only lose when you sell :wink:

As for changing positions it is all about what you think will do best from here on out. The best advice is broad based, low cost index funds rather than picking stocks for the majority of your retirement investments (playing with 10% is OK for stocks, crypto, etc). Target date funds are really good too (ensure it is passive/low cost). Selling at a loss does hurt but will actually give you a tax benefit. Be careful with transaction and management fees - always try to keep those as low as possible.

I hope this helps. Congrats pulling the trigger on investing and your learning will benefit you more than the mistakes will cost you - hang in there!

1 Like