Taxable Brokerage Account Investments

Max out all my tax-advantage accounts already (401K, Roth, HSA) with target-date index fund investments within them. I can now start to focus on investing the remaining cash I have into my Vanguard taxable brokerage account. What’s everyone invested in within their taxable brokerages these days? Should I maintain my boring target-date index fund strategy there too? Or… VTSAX, VTI?? Please share your go-to’s within your taxable brokerage :wink:

My goal with this account would be of course to continue building upon my existing growth and potentially hit FI number quicker, along with the flexibility of being able to access money from here earlier than retirement.

Nice work, congrats on nailing the first 3 phases! I’d say a few things:

• you can default to the same target date index fund strategy, unless and until you identify something you care enough about to learn enough about to be comfortable taking more risk for higher reward (I like real estate, crypto, and startups!). I really like the Aspirational Investor book/framework for this, it is very underrated in my opinion.
  • another slightly more optimal option would be to use Wealthfront or other robo advisor, where you would gain the benefit of tax-loss harvesting. This has been a measurable (but small) benefit in my experience.

Keep rocking!

For taxable if you’re looking for tax efficiency, I’d recommend looking at tax loss/gains harvesting as well as I’ve understood that often ETFs are more tax efficient than Mutual funds.

@ShaneSideris curious to hear your thoughts.

I hate taxes and have no taxable assets currently.

1 Like