The choices are killing me! 403b help

I’m a teacher, planning to retire at 55, and work a part time job while my investments grow. Currently 51.
Just starting my 403b and there are not many great choices! I have currently chosen the Vanguard LifeStrategy Growth Inv, due to low cost and higher returns. But still considering other options.
These seem to be my best choices based on Jeremy’s balanced portfolio. The T. rowe Price fund has a high price .71%. Any suggestions based on this lineup?
T. Rowe Price 2030 Fund
Vanguard LifeStrategy Cnsrv Gr Inv
Vanguard LifeStrategy Growth Inv
Vanguard LifeStrategy Income Inv
Vanguard LifeStrategy Moderate Growth|

The lineup also has Vanguard choices where I could create my own balanced portfolio but I prefer the bundled packages.
|Vanguard Developed Markets Idx Instl
|Vanguard Emerging Mkts Stock Idx Adm|
Vanguard Institutional Index
Vanguard Shrt Term Infl Prot Sec Idx

Hey Michelle,

Try not to look at the returns when choosing which mutual funds you want to invest in your 403B and focus on the low expense ratios. Also, I’m not sure what your risk tolerance is but seeing that you’re retiring in 4 years I’m assuming you want to invest in mutual funds that carry less risk/volatility.

Vanguard’s LifeStrategy Growth Fund isn’t a bad choice but just be aware that the asset allocation is 80% stocks and 20% bonds and you’re comfortable with that allocation. It has a low expense ratio of just .14% which is good as well!

For reference the asset allocations of the other balanced funds you listed:

Vanguard LifeStrategy Cnsrv Gr has an asset allocation of 40% stocks and 60% bonds
Vanguard LifeStrategy Income has an asset allocation of 20% stocks and 80% bonds
Vanguard LifeStrategy Mod Gr has an asset allocation of 60% stocks and 40% bonds.

1 Like