The hidden costs of food delivery apps

Originally published at: https://www.personalfinanceclub.com/the-hidden-costs-of-food-delivery-apps/

I was feeling lazy the other day and wanted to make a sandwich magically appear at my house, so I pulled up the Uber Eats app and put together an order. I eat at Jersey Mike’s pretty often so I had a pretty good idea of the prices, and when I clicked through my jaw pretty much dropped at the cost. Not only all the added fees, but the actual MENU PRICES were over 50 PERCENT HIGHER than what you pay in the store. ‎

I really felt the need to tell someone about this outrage, and didn’t know who to complain to first. Then I remembered how I run a wildly popular personal finance Instagram account, so here we are.‎

The final cost for this sub was almost THREE TIMES more than picking it up. Bananas. Beware of the marketing tricks these delivery apps often use. Sometimes I get a notification for “$1 delivery!”. Wow. Only $1. Might as well, right?! But oh wait, that doesn’t count the “service fee” (what service are they offering that isn’t delivery again?) Plus the small order fee. Plus the driver tip. Plus the outrageously higher menu prices. It’s ok to treat yourself if you can afford it, but it’s a good idea to be aware of what you’re really paying!‎

Oh, and I didn’t end up ordering this sandwich. I cooked at home instead. Old habits die hard.‎

As always, reminding you to build wealth by following the two PFC rules: 1.) Live below your means and 2.) Invest early and often.‎

-Jeremy‎

via Instagram