Vanguard or Fidelity?

I finished your course and loved it! We are trying to decide between investing moving our funds to Vanguard or Fidelity for index funds. It seems Vanguard index funds have performed a little better. Thoughts on both?

Fidelity! I have both but like Fidelity a lot more.

1 Like

The index funds are basically indistinguishable, so you can’t really go wrong! Don’t worry about past performance. That said I prefer Vanguard because of their business model, the funds own Vanguard, so account holders are the shareholders/owners of the company.

2 Likes

If you’re looking at comparable funds (say VTSAX for Vanguard or FSKAX for Fidelity), they’re little point in trying to distinguish between them as @personalfinancedad mentioned.

What should drive your decision, aside from the politics of the business itself if it’s a concern, would be the ease of executing your investments or cost associated with doing so.

For example, if you already have access to buying Fidelity funds, it probably doesn’t make sense to go to the extra effort to open a Vanguard account to trade their funds.

Similarly, if you’re charged fees to purchase Fidelity funds, but not Vanguard’s, it’s almost certainly not worth the extra cost.

2 Likes

I have accounts at both however I prefer Fidelity app over Vangaurds however it maybe because I use it more and thus I’m more familiar with it. That being said I think I read an article how Fidelity has invested a lot in its user interface to be more user friendly and competitive.

3 Likes