VT stocks vs SP500 vs Russel2000 vs 401k

Hi Jeremy,
May I ask what is the main difference between the holding companies like VT stocks vs SP500 vs Russel2000 vs 401k? I know last discussion you mentioned about going frequent investment to VT stocks. Out of the list i mentioned is VT is still the better option to go or any other holdings you recommend?

Thanks again

Hey @Abrar_Siddiquee!

Well, a 401k is just a type of account. It just holds investments like the others you mentioned. It isn’t an investment itself. It’s just an empty bucket into which you put stuff.

The Russell 2000 and S&P 500 are both indexes that track the US stock market. An index fund or ETF that tracks those will largely perform very similarly, although the S&P 500 is all BIG companies and the Russell 2000 is all small companies. I prefer the more diversified approach of buying a total stock market index fund (that would encapsulate both of those).

And VT is an ETF that tracks the WORLD stocks. I think it’s a great option, although you’re confusing a lot of terminology and stuff. If I were you, I’d seek to keep it simple and invest in a target date index fund! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you very much for patiently replying my naive questions. Very grateful for your guidance and time :pray:

1 Like