VTSAX and VTIAX unavailable on 401k. My company provides Vanguard Institutional Index Funds can I get the same indexes through there?

Hi, I’m 25 and planning on a more aggressive approach to investing. I really would want to do
VTSAX = 80% and VTIAX=20%. Only problem is my 401k doesn’t provide those two funds.

The funds I’m provided are:
1. Vanguard Institutional 500 Index Trust (5796)
2. Vanguard Institutional Extended Market Index Trust (5798)
3. Vanguard Institutional Total International Stock Market Index Trust (7585)
4. Vanguard International Growth Fund Admiral Shares (VWILX 0589)

I wanted to see, if I split up my investment to be Vanguard Institutional 500 Index Trust (5796) = 40% and Vanguard Institutional Extended Market Index Trust (5798) = 40% would this be the same as getting VTSAX? or should I just do the full 80% on the Vanguard Institutional 500 Index Trust (5796)?

Also, for VTIAX, is that the same as the Vanguard Institutional Total International Stock Market Index Trust (7585)? If so, that would be the one I plan to go 20%. Wasn’t too sure on that one as the name change is kind of tripping me out a bit. I think more than anything is the “Institutional” and “Trust” part.

Thanks for any help on this!

Hi @Ismael_R!

When you see Trust at the end of Vanguard funds, that means the 401k plan is accessing an Institutional vehicle. This is generally a good thing! Meaning, rather than using a Mutual Fund, they are using what is called a Collective Trust Fund. The main thing that is important here is to verify the expense ratio of the funds that you mentioned. They should have very competitive fees, but worth verifying directly on your 401k website because they can differ per 401k plan.

Yes, you could come close to replicating VTSAX with the S&P 500 and the Extended Market fund, but I’m not sure on the weights. It wouldn’t be 50/50 the way you mentioned. I’m not sure on what the right weighting would be without calculating it, but for reference VTSAX is 70% large cap stocks.

VTIAX is very similar to Vanguard Institutional Total International Stock Market Index Trust (7585). I just looked on Vanguard’s website and it looks like both are benchmarked to FTSE Global All Cap ex US Index.

I hope this is helpful!

1 Like